Supercharge Your Health Through Sprouting with Doug Evans
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, many people around the world have been suffering from chronic and lifestyle diseases. Because we are bombarded with unhealthy food choices, we often forget that food can be medicine as well. And one way of making optimum nutrition available for everyone is sprouting.
In this episode, health food entrepreneur Doug Evans introduces us to sprouting. He walks us through his journey to changing his diet. He also shares the benefits of eating sprouts and how you can start sprouting. Finally, he shares three tips on how you can take control of your health.
Tune in if you want to learn how you can grow nutritious food through sprouting.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Learn what sprouting is and the tools you need for it.
- Discover delicious recipes you can create with sprouts.
- How does Doug feel radically loved? Find out toward the end of the episode.
Doug’s Philosophy on Food
- We have control over what we eat.
- Everything you put into your mouth is a life-or-death decision.
- Some of Doug’s family members suffer from chronic diseases. He also lost his mother to stomach cancer.
- Food is like a drug, and it affects every aspect of our lives.
How Doug Discovered Plant-Based Diet
- He met a vegan in 1999, and he had stuck to whole foods, plant-based, vegan diet for 17 years.
- Now he mostly eats raw sprouts and fruit.
- He still eats steamed or cooked vegetables and whole grains. However, he no longer eats food with added fats, oils, and sugars.
Doug’s Sprouting Journey
- Doug became a sprouter when he lived in the Mojave desert.
- Within 30 days, 50% of his calories came from sprouts.
- The following month, he didn’t spend any more money for food
- Doug’s sugar cravings went down, his energy went up, and his intuition sharpened.
- Because he had the peace of mind to think about what he wanted to do, he discovered his passion for sprouting. He then decided to write a book about it.
Sprouting for Beginners
- Seeds are the source of all plant life on the planet.
- The germination or sprouting stage is overlooked because it happens under the ground and takes time to bear fruit.
- Many do not consider sprouts as a food source, only as garnish.
- Doug is a big eater, but his body can tell him to stop when he’s overeating sprouts.
Benefits of Sprouts
- Cruciferous vegetables have nutrients that can kill cancer cells.
- Broccoli sprouts’ defensive compounds are also effective treatments for autism spectrum disorder.
- Chia sprouts increase your fiber, antioxidant, and potassium.
- Sprouts can grow without sunlight and soil.
- You can grow them in a jar. Just get a cheesecloth, add the seeds, and water them.
- You only need to tend to them two or three times a day.
- Sprouting makes healthy superfoods and juices more economically accessible.
Tips on Starting Your Organic Sprout Garden
- Avoid seeds that have been sprayed with fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides.
- Get organic seeds designed for sprouting because they have a high germination rate.
- Buy seeds that have been tested for foodborne pathogens.
- Listen to the full episode to learn how to sprout lentils, as well as their nutritional benefits.
Creating Recipes from Sprouts
- Doug invites everyone to add sprouts in their meals.
- The Sprout Book includes 40 raw, plant-based recipes that are 50% sprouts.
Sprouts for Sugar Lovers
- Combine sprouts with berries, the lowest glycemic fruit.
- If you like watermelon, eat it raw from the green to the red part.
- You can also try dates and figs.
- Doug sees no problem with sugar from fruits. But the more sprouts you eat, the less you'll crave sugar.
Cooking with Oil
- Doug’s wife cooks with very little coconut or avocado oil.
- When she cooks with oil and seasoning, Doug tends to overeat, which doesn’t make him feel good.
Watering Your Sprouts
- Untreated and ozone- or UV-treated waters are good.
- If your water is chlorine-treated, boil it first.
- Tap, filtered, spring, and distilled waters are also good.
- If you don't have access to filtered water, just use what you have. Eventually, you'll get alignment and start making better choices.
Why More People Should Start Sprouting
- Sprouting minimizes packaging waste.
- It saves land use, water use, and food waste.
- It also doesn't involve animal slaughter.
How to Take Control of Your Health
- Research the health benefits of sprouts.
- Order organic sprouting seeds and experiment.
- Slow down when you’re eating and think about where your food comes from.
- We can choose to be a victim or a victor.
- It’s not about motivation. It’s about taking action that’s aligned with your purpose and mission.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
[06:44] “My philosophy on food is that everything that you put in your mouth is a life or death decision.”
[33:08] “Sprouting can help equalize the food system whereas anyone can afford to buy seeds, add water, and then have their organic vegetable garden on their kitchen countertop in the size of a toaster oven.”
[56:39] “Seeds are these diamonds. Like we're sitting on them; they're right in front of our face. They're one phone call, one trip to the store, one Amazon sprout man, True Leaf Market order away. And you can get the seeds; you can get empowered. And who would believe that eating sprouts could change your life?”
[1:00:06] “Are you eating this because it is in your destiny and your divinity that you are choosing this with the full intention of your being? Or are you eating this because it's convenient or someone else is selling it to you?”
[1:10:16] “We can choose to be a victim, or we can choose to be a victor. And it's not about motivation; it's about action.”
Doug Evans is a simple man who joined the army when he was 17 years old. Because of his adventurous spirit, he discovered sprouting. He turned this passion into a book entitled The Sprout Book. Doug is an advocate of mindful eating for a healthier and happier life.
Know more about Doug and his work through his Instagram account.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers.
Activate your 10% discount using the code wise10 and save up to 63% on select BiOptimizers products. Free shipping on select orders.
Enjoy the Podcast?
If you felt radically loved from listening to this podcast, subscribe and share it with the people you love!
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. Help us reach more people and make them feel loved.
Do you want to supercharge your health through sprouting? A simple way is to share what you've learned today on social media.
Don't forget to send us messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Thanks for listening!
To feeling radically loved,