How to Use the Power of Food for a Healthier Lifestyle with Dr. Rupy Aujla
Have you ever asked yourself what diet works for you? If you have, you're not alone.
Everyone wants a healthy lifestyle, but not everyone knows how to start. You can go to the gym every day or restrict your calories to lose weight, but it won't work if you don't start from the very foundation of it all: food. The nutrition, wellness, and the medicinal benefits you can get from eating and preparing a healthy and balanced meal are the beginnings of a thriving lifestyle.
In today's episode, Dr. Rupy Aujla discusses with us the power of food and the importance of a healthy lifestyle. He also shares with us his journey toward healthy living and how we can incorporate his learnings into our everyday lives.
This episode is for everyone who wants to start changing their lifestyle for the better!
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- You will learn the importance of preparing and eating good food in your health and wellness.
- Dr. Rupy also shares his advice on external medications and lifestyle habits you can do to start your health journey.
- Discover the medicinal effects of eating well and living a healthy lifestyle to your well-being.
Dr. Rupy's Journey Toward Food Appreciation
- Rupy grew up in a household with a general interest in eating well and trying different cuisines.
- When he went to medical school, he started to appreciate, cook, and experiment around food, which led to him eating healthily.
- He encourages the recognition of innate individuality, both from a mental and physical point, instead of a dietary persuasion.
- When he was 24 years old, he was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, which further sparked his health journey. His mother encouraged him to try a different lifestyle, which helped him overcome his illness.
The Importance of Being Healthy Inside
- You have to first focus on feeling good on the inside rather than looking good on the outside.
- Your goal and focus on losing weight are crucial in starting your health journey.
- Changing the way you eat and approaching a different lifestyle take time.
Dr. Rupy's Advice for People Starting Their Health Journey
- Quick results are not sustainable. You would want stability in your health journey to stop the cycle of unhealthy practices.
- His first book, The Doctor's Kitchen, is a “foodie’s journey” that talks about fascinating facts about nutritional science and plant-predominant diets.
- His second book, The Doctor's Kitchen - Eat to Beat Illness, applies the principles from the first book to different parts of the body.
The Social Components to Our Health
- Gratitude penetrates through every action of his life.
- You can see the importance of social groups and physical connection through gratitude.
- He talks about the psychogenic environment and how reliance on machines creates a lifestyle of isolation, which is not suitable for us as social beings.
The Beauty of Eating and Preparing Good Food
- You create a connection with food in cooking ingredients with your own hands.
- Mindful cooking acts like meditation.
- In cooking, your physical senses are activated.
- Prioritization enables you to prepare food on your own despite a busy schedule. If you start slow, you will build up the habit.
Advice on External Medications and Importance of Rest
- Lack of sleep and rest can lead to unhealthy practices and diseases.
- Getting much sleep and rest is something that Dr. Rupy is also working on himself. He started by quitting caffeine and improved his other sleeping habits.
- Rupy encourages the use of external medications or supplements such as trying yoga instead of using melatonin.
- Find a treatment approach that works best for you.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
“My suggestion to everyone is to focus on wellness and actually feeling as good as you can in yourself rather than an archetype or way of looking.”
“It's not just about how you look; it's about how you feel internally.”
“We've evolved as human beings to be part of tribes. And, unfortunately, living further and more isolated lifestyles, it's eradicated gradually.”
“You'd gain more from the meal and the recipe by being more engaged in the cooking process and the eating process as well.”
“I think me having conjured up gratitude for everything around me in my environment has given me a deeper understanding of the oneness of everything.”
About Dr. Rupy
Dr. Rupy Aujla, MBBS, BSc, MRCGP, founded The Doctor's Kitchen, which aims to educate everyone about the medicinal benefits of eating well. He is a Sunday Times bestselling author of two books, The Doctor's Kitchen and Eat to Beat Illness.
Dr. Rupy is also the founding director of the non-profit organization Culinary Medicine, which aims to teach doctors and medical students the pillars of nutrition and the importance of cooking. He specializes in general practice and is a firm believer in the power of food and proper lifestyle changes to heal people.
If you want to learn more about Dr. Rupy's advocacies and journey, you can visit thedoctorskitchen.com.
Enjoy the Podcast?
If you felt radically loved from listening to this podcast, subscribe and share it with the people you love!
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. Help us reach more people and make them feel loved.
Do you want to inspire others to live and eat healthily? A simple way is to share what you've learned today on social media.
FREE meditation ebook! Create a daily meditation ritual in just seven days! Download BUILD YOUR DAILY MEDITATION RITUAL and other freebies at RadicallyLoved.com!
Don't forget to send us messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Thanks for listening!
To feeling radically loved,