How to Return to What Brings You Joy with Terri Hines
When you were a kid, dabbling in what brings you joy with no expectations is easy. You enjoyed arts, sports, or play because they made you happy. But as you grow up, what brings you joy gets locked away to give space for other matters. And, in the process, you lose sight of who you are.
In this episode, master storyteller Terri Hines invites us to tap into our creative selves and wake up from this self-induced sleep. She explains that finding a way to reconnect with that dormant part of ourselves can help us stay grounded against worldly and inner chaos. Terri also emphasizes the importance of looking within and checking on yourself daily. When your heart, soul, and spirit are healthy, you can better love other people.
If you want to know how to reconnect with your creative spirit and rediscover what brings you joy, then tune in to the full episode.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Find out how to wake up your sleeping passion.
- Learn to check in with yourself daily and practice self-compassion.
- Discover how Terri feels radically loved.
● Insight Timer – Free App for Sleep, Anxiety, and Stress
- The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo
- Connect with Terri: Twitter | LinkedIn
- Create a daily meditation ritual in just seven days! Download BUILD YOUR DAILY MEDITATION RITUAL and other freebies at com!
- FREE Action Guide! Apply the lessons you learn from this episode as you listen! Sign up at com, and I’ll send it right away!
Lessons from 2020
- Despite 2020 being chaotic, Terri remains optimistic that 2021 is a chance for rebirth.
- 2020 may have been a cocoon, but 2021 can be a butterfly.
- In the past year, Terri shed old layers, tapped into her creative spirit, and rediscovered her true self.
Go Back to What Brings You Joy
- Being a media professional for live TV, Terri is used to that always-on lifestyle, so stepping out of that was a real challenge.
- Terri grew up in a musical family; she learned how to play an instrument, sing, and play sports.
- Today, Terri is rediscovering her forgotten talent for singing with the help of a voice coach. She also plans to take up piano lessons again.
- Terri feels reborn as a new woman.
Catalyst for Change
- During her birthday in August, Terri went on a trip to Cabo with friends.
- The trip offered an opportunity for reflection. Terri started reassessing what she wanted to do and what she wanted her life to be.
- Along the way, she met her current voice coach, who set her on the path to rediscovery.
- Terri gave up on singing and playing the piano to focus on building her career.
- Her dad encouraged her to attend a performing arts school, but she refused.
- If she went to the school her father wanted, things might have been different, and she wouldn't have to stifle her passion.
- When her communications career took off, Terri's passion went to sleep. She's waking up now.
- Although some people find introspection scary, Terri didn't mind it at all.
- The pandemic forced everyone to look at the mirror and recognize how life has turned out. What do you do well, and what should you eliminate? What layers should you shed to get in touch with your authentic self?
- Meditation was a great way to go inward. She was initially skeptical, but Terri rediscovered the power of meditation through Insight Timer.
- Guided meditation has been a life-changer for Terri.
- In our fast-paced world, we tend to forget ourselves. We can easily ask others how they're feeling, but we fail to give ourselves that same courtesy.
- If your heart, soul, and spirit are not healthy, how can you love other people?
- There are more triggers and stressors than ever, which is why you have to find a way to stay grounded.
- Whether it's exercise, yoga, or journaling, find something that helps you check in with yourself and look within.
Nourishing the Soul
- Coming from a demanding corporate career, Terri found it challenging to stop self-judgment and criticism.
- Terri's slowly learning to bring the walls of judgment down and embrace vulnerability.
- When her voice coach asked Terri about her purpose, she responded that her calling is to give love.
- Even though she felt like she didn't know what to do with her purpose, her niece echoed the sentiment. Terri is a natural motivator who gets people to listen.
- Terri found that her purpose is to give love through motivation.
- Terri feels radically loved by showing up and greeting the day with a smile and an open heart.
- As an optimist, she chooses to focus on the good.
- She feels radically loved by her girlfriend circle and family, who support and challenge her to grow.
5 Powerful Quotes
[04:47] “You know that butterflies just resonate for me just generally speaking, because I feel like butterflies for me represent a rebirth.”
[07:51] “So I sang, I played the piano, and I ran track. So I never knew, I never knew there was an option not to do that.”
[09:57] “You know, listening to the rolls of the water and the ocean. Just to really think differently about what I want to do, and what I want my life to look like and what I want my niece and nieces to think about, thereon.
[14:50] “And so I always think back--even before the career, before college--like if I had, if I had I had chosen to go to school for performing arts, what would my life look like?”
[17:27] “But anyway, I, um, you know, it really forces you to look in the mirror, and really see what's in the heart and hat propels you? What wires you? What motivates you? What things you need to get rid of, right?”
Terri Hines is the Executive Vice President for Communications and chief spokesperson for FOX Sports. A vision-driven executive, Terri has over 20 years of professional experience in brand building and communications working for some of the biggest consumer brands.
Terri has received several accolades from various publications, including Forbes Magazine's Women in Sports: Ones to Watch in 2017, Women In Cable Telecommunications 2017 LEA Award, The Feminist Press 2016 Feminist Power Award, Black Retail Action Group's 2016 Business Achievement Award, Savoy Magazine's Top Influential Women in Corporate America, The Network Journal's Top 40 Under Forty, and Los Angeles Business Journal's Women Making a Difference.
If you want to get in touch with Terri, connect with her on Twitter or LinkedIn.
This episode is brought to you by
Use promo code: LOVED to get a special offer! 4 week trial plus FREE postage and a digital scale. No long-term commitments.
Enjoy the Podcast?
If you felt radically loved from listening to this podcast, subscribe and share it with the people you love!
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. Help us reach more people and make them feel loved.
Do you want to help people return to what brings them joy? A simple way is to share what you've learned today on social media.
Don't forget to follow and message us on these platforms!
To feeling radically loved,