Keeping Your Life Balanced with Ayurveda Yoga and Sleep Hygiene with James Bailey
Many of us have become accustomed to the rapid and instant nature of this day's tech-savvy world. When it comes to finding balance, we tend to seek quick fixes to alleviate our stress and anxiety. Whether due to impatience or shorter attention span, we've become less immersed and more disconnected from reality and each other.
Too much social media and fast technology have tipped our energies to an imbalanced state filled with stress and anxiety.
Listening to this episode will help you understand how imbalances form. James Bailey also teaches about Ayurveda yoga to improve our health and wellness. He also talks about the importance of healthy sleep and authenticity in healing.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Learn about how the three doshas and how they can help you achieve the power of authenticity.
- Discover how sleep hygiene can lead you to a more mindful and fuller life in this technology-heavy and soundbite-driven world.
- How does James feel radically loved?
- James has had an increase in the number of students with lower attention spans.
- Everybody wants to learn in soundbites.
- People prefer rapid information.
Doshas of Ayurveda and Imbalance
- According to Ayurveda, there are three fundamental energies of the body: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. They manage and control all the physiological functions of the body.
- Each is sensitive to the external factors we expose ourselves to—stress, food, lifestyle, and even our emotions. They are dynamic energies that fluctuate and change, causing the imbalances we experience.
- Vata is all about the flow and circulation of the body. It resembles the element of air.
- Pitta is the principle of conversion and transformation. It exemplifies the changes in the body and represents the fire element.
- Meanwhile, Kapha is the principles of water and earth. It’s the capacity to generate and rebuild tissues.
Yoga and Tradition
- The idea of tradition is relative. The way James sees it is there are two kinds of people in the yoga world: traditionalists and innovators.
- Traditionalists are people who are consistent with the classic texts.
- On the other hand, innovators challenge tradition and want to make things more personalized.
How Tech Changed Yoga and Its Effect On Us
- There is no longer a sense of community.
- This online connectivity creates more disconnection.
- It also takes away opportunities to collaborate or meet with people around you.
- Stress and anxiety have become an epidemic, and online platforms reinforce them.
James' Practice for a Healthier Sleep
- To counter this epidemic, James gave up screen time and worked on sadhana.
- In their household, the day is over at 9 p.m., all the screens are down from laptops to cell phones, and sadhana space begins.
- He practices yoga in front of an altar in his room for circulation before going to bed.
- He does 20 minutes of sun salutations, then 10 minutes of floor postures, and the usual routine of Pranayama mantra. Finally, James practices Yoga Nidra for 10 minutes.
- It is referred to as sleep hygiene in Western practices.
Benefits of Sleep Hygiene
- It improves sleep.
- Sleep hygiene lowers anxiety levels.
- It also improves concentration.
- You will feel more present and more mindful.
What's Your Dosha?
- Everybody has three doshas.
- The doshas keep fluctuating depending on your last meal, your mood, time of day, stress levels.
- What does not change, though, is your constitution—your dominant doshas.
- When your doshas get too high, we get imbalances.
- We do not want to balance all our doshas but to keep them within our constitution.
Principle of Authenticity
- Be true to yourself and accept who you are, your strengths and weaknesses.
- James believes in the power of authenticity when it comes to healing physically and spiritually.
- We cannot heal if we use remedies that work for someone else.
- Authenticity is the highest expression of who we are, our self-love, and self-respect.
Ayurveda for You
- The path toward growth and nourishment is unique for each individual.
- There is no one-size-fits-all in Ayurveda.
- There are no trends in Ayurveda that you need to ride.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
“So they want it really quick, they want small points, and it's just really the way the online world has become. I think we've just accepted that we have shorter attention spans because there's so much more to take in.”
“So they're (the doshas) very dynamic in their nature; they fluctuate up and down frequently, which is what causes imbalances.”
“Everybody wants to be something else than what they really are.”
Authenticity is the path when it comes to healing both physically and spiritually because we can't really heal if we're going to use remedies that work for somebody else.”
“There is no Ayurveda for everybody. There's no nutrition for everybody. There's no trends in Ayurveda or in real healing. There's no trends. There's my diet, there's your diet, and all the listeners’ diets should be completely different.”
James Bailey is the founder and an instructor of Sevanti Institute. He strives to help people achieve authenticity and cultivate faith in oneself through the gift of yoga. His online school has a three-tier yoga program leading to a certification for those who want to teach.
Connect with James on his Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram.
This episode is brought to you by DOFasting.
CODE: LOVED get 6 month fasting program with 50% off a 6 month plan and your first month free.
This episode is brought to you by TONAL.
$100 Off Smart Accessories Code: LOVED
This episode is brought to you by Nucalm.
Code: LOVED get 50% off your 30 day subscription.
Enjoy the Podcast?
If you felt radically loved from listening to this podcast, subscribe and share it with the people you love!
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. Help us reach more people and make them feel loved.
Do you want to help more people keep their life balanced? A simple way is to share what you've learned today on social media.
FREE meditation ebook! Create a daily meditation ritual in just seven days! Download BUILD YOUR DAILY MEDITATION RITUAL and other freebies at RadicallyLoved.com!
Don't forget to send us messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Thanks for listening!
To feeling radically loved,