Turning Your Fear into Power with Koya Webb
We all want to be brave enough to confront our fears, but we often find it difficult to succeed. We are scared of what the future holds. But at some point in our lives, we realize that holding onto our fears will only lead us to an unhappy and unproductive life.
When we face our fears, we open ourselves to new opportunities. We surprise ourselves with what we can do and what we can be. Confronting our fears can lead to social change that can benefit all of us. Change is always scary. Facing your fears is never easy, but it's worth it in the end.
In today's episode, Koya Webb shares with us how we can turn our fears into our strength. She discusses how overcoming difficult conversations and confronting social injustices with love can result in social change. She also shares with us her journey towards self-love and the advantages of yoga and meditation.
If you want to change your life by embracing your fears, tune in to the episode!
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- You will learn how to confront your fear and use it as a tool to overcome your struggles.
- Koya Webb gives advice on how to deal with difficult conversations that can lead to social change.
- How does Koya Webb feel radically loved? Find out toward the end of the episode.
Pivotal Moments in Koya's Life
- As a child, she grew up full of fears. She was afraid of speaking up and embarrassing her family and herself to other people.
- The hardships in her life led her to become more grateful. She feared that if she's not appreciative enough, the things she has will be taken away from her.
- She found yoga and started her spiritual practice after a track and field injury. It enabled her to feel more connected and fulfilled in her life.
- Removing her fears and recognizing her power and fierceness gave her the ability to step into who she truly is.
Experiencing Trauma Through the Normalization of Social Issues
- Society sometimes tends to normalize issues so quickly that we don't even realize we're being traumatized by it.
- Creating uncomfortable conversations leads to changes. We are all part of the change we want to see.
- Through breathing exercises and meditation, Koya was able to understand her fears.
- We have to breathe love into spaces and issues society has normalized or doesn't want to discuss.
Why People Are Scared to Talk About Complex Social Issues
- People don't want their comfort challenged, so they tend to choose what is easy.
- If something is not okay with someone, it's not okay for everyone.
- We have to communicate with each other to heal and feel love through difficult conversations.
- When something frustrates you, you are scratching the surface.
How Koya Uses Her Fierceness to Overcome Her Fear
- When Koya got injured, she started doing yoga and figuring out what she would do next. She realized she wasn't loving and taking care of herself during those times.
- People should realize that loving everyone and opening up conversations mean loving themselves and creating change.
- Talking about social issues is uncomfortable, and it's okay. Growth and evolution are always messy.
- Breathing exercises help her overcome discomfort and get through hardships in her life.
Koya's Motivation on Continuing Her Purpose
- Koya reminds herself that life is a duality. You have to show up in your life because light comes after darkness.
- Looking through nature gives you a sense of what it feels to be human.
On the Younger Generation’s Struggle with Anxiety and Stress
- The use of technology created a lack of tangible connection and human touch, which adds to the younger generation's anxiety.
- Anxiety is a compounded fear and affects mental health. Feeling fear is normal.
- Doing yoga and meditation and taking deep breaths can help with anxiety and stress.
- Oversharing your life can lead to fear. You have to process your emotions first to avoid basing yourself on other people's opinions.
- Go back to nature and connect to heal some fear.
How Koya Fills Her Love Bank
- When you're in a dark moment in your life, do the things you love to process your pain.
- It's okay to talk about darkness. You don't have to fear challenges.
The Person Who Gave Koya a Solid Foundation
- Koya's biggest inspiration is her mother.
- Her mother always reminds her to ask herself if she's happy.
- When you're living, you will experience emotions.
- Our stories are what make us beautiful.
Koya's Definition of Freedom and Her Advice to Others
- Freedom is being able to express yourself, to love and be loved freely without judgment and fear, and to receive love.
- She reminds people that they are loved and necessary in this world.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
“When you grow up in a space of fear, you are afraid of yourself.”
“Once I removed all those fears, all those barriers, and all those and lies, I was able to step into who I truly am.”
“People don't want their comfort challenged. People are comfortable with things like, ‘Oh, everything's okay, and it's fine.’ No, it's not. If it is not fine for someone, then it is not fine for everyone.”
“I can see at the end of the day, we all want to love and be loved. And there are people on both ends of the spectrum that are not happy and suffering. So let's talk about it.”
“There are people who have good intentions, and they just don't realize that they're not loving themselves by not loving everyone, by not listening, or not caring, or not opening up the conversation. But then once they realize it, there's an opportunity to change.”
About the Guest
Koya Webb is an international yoga instructor, health coach, and author. After a track injury that put her promising career as an Olympic Gold Medalist on pause, she turned to guide others to happiness through physical, emotional, and spiritual awareness. She is devoted to helping others understand their fears and thrive with their unique gifts and talents.
If you want to connect with Koya and join her community focused on self-love, you can visit koyawebb.com.
Enjoy the Podcast?
If you felt radically loved from listening to this podcast, subscribe and share it with the people you love!
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. Help us reach more people and make them feel loved.
Do you want to turn your fear into power? A simple way is to share what you've learned today on social media.
FREE meditation ebook! Create a daily meditation ritual in just seven days! Download
BUILD YOUR DAILY MEDITATION RITUAL and other freebies at RadicallyLoved.com!
Don't forget to send us messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Thanks for listening!
To feeling radically loved,